It’s almost here! May 5th! Cinco de Derby! The battle of the margarita and mint julep!
I've shared the basic recipes above, but if you are looking for a few last minute holiday mash up drink recipes, you’ve found the right place. Here are some good South meets South of the Border Sips.
- · 1/2 cup chopped mint leaves
- · 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- · 4 cups crushed ice
- · 1 1/2 cups good-quality tequila
- · 1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (from about 8 limes)
- · 1 cup Triple Sec
In the bottom of a large (2-quart) pitcher, crush together mint and salt, pressing with the back of a wooden spoon. Add ice. Add tequila, lime juice, and Triple Sec, stirring vigorously. Serve in short tumblers or wineglasses.
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 12 large fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup blanco or reposado tequila
- 1/4 cup club soda
In a highball glass, mix lime juice, sugar, and mint. Mash mint leaves with the back of a spoon until the sugar dissolves. Fill the glass with ice. Add tequila and club soda; stir to blend.
- · Leaves from 1 medium bunch of mint
- · 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon superfine sugar
- · 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- · 1 1/2 cups silver tequila
- · Ice cubes
- · 24 ounces chilled club soda
In a large cocktail shaker, muddle the mint leaves with the sugar and lime juice. Strain into a small pitcher and stir in the silver tequila. Fill 6 highball glasses with ice and pour the cocktail over the cubes. Top each drink with club soda and serve.